Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Member Highlight - Anna Veach

wonkyRobot.JPGMy name is Anna Veach and I'm new to the Houston area. I've been married for one year to a very sweet and wonderful guy who even if he doesn't "get" my sewing/quilting addiction, he willingly takes our 5 month old child out of the house once a week so I can sew like crazy! Yes, that's the other thing about me, I'm a new mom too. AND I'm starting a new job soon! Talk about new adventures! I started sewing in 2006 when a friend taught me how to make curtains and pillowcases for my new house (back then I lived in San Antonio) and then about 2007 my mom and I took a beginning quilting class and I was pretty much hooked. In 2010 I stumbled onto the website of the Modern Quilt Guild and found out there was a chapter forming in San Antonio and ended up being on the board for two years.
 
QuiltedBailey.jpgThe first quilt I ever made, start to finish, including quilting and binding was for a friend's granddaughter, Bailey. She was the first granddaughter and the family was stationed in Germany. The parents had chosen teal blue, lime green and brown for the colors for her nursery, not exactly traditional "girl" colors but it appealed to me. Luckily I had this charm pack (5" squares) of fabric that had butterflies and polka dots and pretty damask designs in those exact colors. So it was sort of girly prints in blue, green and brown. I jumped in and made the top, learning how to applique along the way as well, when I added her name down the middle and two butterflies in the corners. Then I made the sandwich and quilted it on my Bernina while watching episodes of Robinhood (a BBC series) on Netflix online. I bound it up and gave it to my friend, just in time for her trip to Germany where she hand delivered the quilt! I have never actually met the recipient of the quilt but I've heard that she LOVES her quilt and drags it around with her everywhere, which is exactly what I intended for it.
 
momsquilt1.JPGWith the new baby and all I haven't had a lot of time to get quilts finished but I did finish up this quilt in April of 2012, about a month after my boy was born. This quilt, while not really very modern was a special project for me. It's my mom's quilt from our Beginning to Quilt class. She had finished the top, probably back in 2008 or so and I had my good friend Danielle do the quilting on her long arm. Then I dashed out to Smithville in mid April because the San Antonio Modern Quilt Guild was having their retreat there. Yes, my child was one month old and I was happy to be able to take a little break to finish this for my mom. All I accomplished at that one day spent at the retreat was to put the binding on this quilt so I could give it to my mom for mother's day. She absolutely loves it and uses it every day. In fact, my son loves it too.
mom_MJ_quilt.jpg

I do have a blog but I haven't updated it in quite awhile due to the baby, moving and now getting a job things have been super hectic! I hope you'll check it out http://urbanstitches.com

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Anna! I look forward to meeting you soon.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Antonio's loss is our gain! We are glad to have you join us, Anna!

    ReplyDelete