Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Happy Trees Mini Quilt Tutorial - Jacey

Today we have our second special guest post from Jacey who blogs at http://jaceycraft.blogspot.com/.  She will be sharing a tutorial for Happy Trees Mini Quilt which will also appear on her blog here.  Be sure to look for a new holiday themed tutorial each week back here!

Hi! I'm Jacey from Jaceycraft. I'm a member of the Houston Modern Quilt Guild, and I'd like to share a tutorial with you for sweet Happy Trees Mini Quilt.
 

HCB: Happy Trees Mini Quilt

Holiday Craft Bash Group
Hello, hello. I cannot believe how fast November is flying by! Here we are, nearing the end of our Holiday Craft Bash.
Today, I've got a little mini quilt tutorial for you. This little mini definitely gives me a Bob Ross vibe. When I was planning my project for this week, I wanted to use some of the scraps generated by my Hexagon Tree Skirt.
List of materials:
fabric scraps, cut into triangle shapes
Fusible interfacing (I use Pellon SF 101)
Batting (approx. FQ size)
Fat quarter of background fabric
fat quarter of backing fabric
1/4" yard of binding fabric
small scraps for tree trunks
Basting spray I use the June Taylor brand, found at Joann) or safety pins Directions
1) Iron interfacing to wrong side of tree and tree trunk pieces. I laid mine out on a strip and ironed all at once. Just make sure you don't iron directly on the interfacing! 2) Cut out all pieces.
3) Baste your background fabric to your batting. 4) Plan your layout. Make sure you work with at least a 2" border, and lay out the trees in a desirable fashion.
At this point, it's helpful to take a picture of your layout!
5) Pin your first tree (starting with the trunk if applicable) to the background. Using a walking foot (if you have one), topstitch the trunk and tree to the background. You can use decorative stitches if desired. 6) Continuing with the remaining tree pieces, applique your happy trees.
I went out of order with some of my trees, to create a little interest.
7)Once you have appliqued all of your trees, create a ground level with a few lines of quilting. I used brown thread for this, but feel free to use whatever feels right! You could use white for snow, perhaps. But in Texas, the ground is brown in the winter.
8) Now, we need to attach our backing fabric. Baste the back fabric to the other side of the batting.
9) Now, quilt around the trees! You could choose to quilt over them, but I like the effect of quilting around them.
I tried to create some movement with wavy lines. Have fun with this!
10) When you are satisfied with your quilting, trim your mini down to the desired size. My mini is 16" x 19". Make sure you leave at least an inch border, so your trees don't get covered up by the binding!
11) Make binding. I used 2 1/2" binding with a 3/8" seam allowance.
Apply your binding to the front of the quilt using your machine.
12)Apply your binding to the second side. I adore the hand sewing process on the second side, but you can surely apply it by machine if that's your thing!
13)Admire your forest of happy trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment