Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tutorial - Charm Square Christmas Star

Today we have a special guest post from Karri who blogs at KarriofBerries.  She will be sharing a tutorial for a Christmas Star made from 5 inch charm squares. Be sure to look for a new holiday themed tutorial each week back here!

Hi! I'm Karri from KarriofBerries. I'm a member of the Houston Modern Quilt Guild, and I'd like to share a tutorial with you for a Christmas Star making use of your 5 inch charm squares.

This past summer, I participated in a Christmas charm swap.  I received 112 charm squares.  I used up most of them in my Christmas banner and Christmas tree skirt and I still had a few left over.  In an effort to make do with what I have I used the left over charms to make a Christmas Star.

I used 9 - 5 inch charms and left over Kona black.  I followed this tutorial - Solstice Stars.


Faith's tutorial calls for 3 - 5 1/8 strips and the charm squares are only 5 inches.  The 1/8 inch is important unless you want to re-size the pattern.  Math is not my friend and somewhere out there my former math teachers are dying on the inside but trust me, you need the 1/8 of an inch.  So, I cut 2 strips of the the strips.

 Sew them together using a 1/4 seam and then iron the seams open.

Then cut them to 5 1/8 inch.

I used the text print as a the center instead of using a solid.  I think it is more festive and all of my other prints have the colors of the center square.  This is how I color coordinated my star.

To make the triangles - I cut one side of the 5 inch charm to 3 5/8s.  Then I folded it half and ironed it.  Then I cut off the extra piece.  There is probably some geometry theorem that proves why this is so.


Then on the fold, cut into half and you have your RSTs and you only had to measure one side.
I continued on following Faith's tutorial.  I laid mine out exactly like she did.  Go slow.


think this is going to be a wall hanging for someone special!



No comments:

Post a Comment